Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Higgs-Boson Inspirationometer

Visualize a meter, kind of like a speedometer. On one side, there is the word "science" and on the other, the word "cake." 

When the little red dial is on the "science" side, I want to do things rationally, straightforward, fiercely. I am inspired by all of the universe, I ask "why?" at every turn. When the little red dial is on "science" I am ready to go to graduate school, become a doctor in some form, and also daydream about what I would write for my Nobel Prize acceptance speech.

When the dial is pointed towards "cake," all I can think about is selling my possessions, traveling the world, learning to play every instrument, writing books, creating a comic, being a linguist, being a ninja, eating ungodly amounts of cake, and also daydream about what glorious things would be written for my biography.

Right now, that stupid red dial keeps madly wobbling back and forth.

There is an idea which says that if you stand a pencil up, it will wobble around in different directions until it inevitably falls pointing in a single direction. That's me, except I'm stuck in a perpetual state of wobble and have been for almost 3 years.


I had a happy childhood and did very well in school [read: I was quite boring]. Life hit and I stumbled - now everything's a bit muddled. I'm still boring, but kind of responsible, and while I wait for a "real job" I find myself very happy working in a restaurant. This wasn't the plan according to me or my parents, but for right now, it's good. It's better than nothing. 


Now the question is, "What do I do with the rest of my life?" or "How do I make I lot of money so I can do what I want for the rest of my life?" I have a hard time focusing on these questions with all the background noise so this will be my randoms repository so I can get sorted. 


So, Science or Cake? Nobel Prize or Biography?


I bet people who get those don't blog.



No comments:

Post a Comment